Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes Ranked as the NFL’s Top Head Coach-QB Duo

Chiefs Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes

The folks at Sports Illustrated put together a ranking of the top head coach and quarterback duos in the NFL this week, and unsurprisingly, the Kansas City Chiefs’ tandem of Head Coach Andy Reid and quarterback Patrick Mahomes reigned supreme.

Chiefs Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes

Kansas City’s duo already has a case as one of the greatest partnerships in NFL history, let alone in 2024, after combining for three Super Bowl championships over the last five seasons.

In fact, Reid and Mahomes are just the third head coach and quarterback duo to win three titles in five years, joining the Pittsburgh Steelers’ Chuck Noll and Terry Bradshaw (4 Super Bowls from 1974-79) and the New England Patriots’ Bill Belichick and Tom Brady (twice, 3 Super Bowls from 2001-04 and 3 Super Bowls from 2014-18).

Additionally, the Chiefs’ 75 regular-season victories since 2018 – Mahomes’ first campaign as the Chiefs’ starter – lead the league by nine wins. Kansas City has also won 15 postseason games in that time, which leads the next-closest team by seven victories.

Here’s what the article’s author, Matt Verderame, wrote about the Chiefs’ historic tandem:

“Dynasties are typically born of great coach-quarterback combinations. The Chiefs are no different. Since Mahomes became the starter in 2018, Kansas City has won six AFC West titles, reached six AFC title games, hosting five of them, gone to four Super Bowls and won three rings. Overall, Mahomes is already a Hall of Fame shoo-in while Reid is fourth all-time in wins.”